The colors you choose for your wall can captivate your style and bring the entire room together. With so many color choices available, painting becomes a creative adventure. If you decide to paint your home by yourself, there are some tips and tricks you should know.
How to paint like a pro:
- Select a paint color from your local paint store. If you are looking for inspiration, choose an item from your room that captivates the color you want or look through paint catalogs. Make sure that you buy a high-quality paint for a great pigmentation and long-lasting affects.
- Remove all the furniture and decorations from the room. For larger items, you can move them into the center of the room (they will be covered).
- Take a feather duster and remove all cobwebs from the corners of the walls.
- Grab a baby wipe and wipe down the wall trim. This will help assure we have clean, sharp paint lines.
- Drop cloths have proven to be more effective than plastic during painting projects. A drop cloth will absorb any paint that may have spilled. It also protects your furniture and floor from paint stains. Use one every time.
- Not every wall needs to be primed before it is painted, but there are certain times that you should prime your walls beforehand:
- Change the sheen of your paint.
- Painting new walls or wood.
- Painting walls that have damage or have been patched.
- Painting a lighter color overtop of a darker paint color.
- If you are painting your walls a dark or bold color, try using tinted paint primer.
- In a small section of the room, try out the paint color. Make sure that it is the color you want it to be with the lighting in the room.
- Experts recommend that painters purchase a half-pint paint pitcher to store extra paint. If you ever need to touch up an area of the room, grab your half-pint paint pitcher. It is easier than storing a bulky, normal-size paint pitcher and always assures you that you have extra paint.
- Your room has never looked better and the new look was easily accomplished with these simple tricks. Make sure to let all the paint dry before moving furniture back into the room.
Now that your room is painted, you can look at new flooring! For flooring recommendations or advice, please call us at ICC Floors. We are a Benjamin Moore preferred company and have 3 stores for your convenience. Visit us at ICC Floors — we have experts awaiting your call and we look forward to helping you.