Loved for its comfort and beauty, carpet has been a flooring staple in homes across America for decades. While carpet is commonly used in households, some homeowners still do not understand its characteristics and properties. To help consumers understand their flooring properly, we are going to do a series on the four most common flooring types: Carpet, Hardwood, Tile, and LVP (Luxury Vinyl Planking). Today, we are going to take a closer look at carpet and all it has to offer. Let’s take a look!
Carpet comes in five different fiber types: Acrylic, Nylon, Polyester, Polypropylene/Olefin, and Wool.
- Acrylic: Acrylic carpet fibers offer homeowners the beautiful look and feel of wool carpet with an affordable price tag. That being said, it is not best for heavy-traffic areas.
- Nylon: Nylon carpet fibers are a very popular and common choice amongst homeowners due to their resilience. Also, they help hide dirt and debris, which is a pro for households with pets and children.
- Polyester: Polyester carpet fibers are fantastic at resisting stains and fading. Additionally, polyester fibered carpets come in an array of colors and patterns to match your style preferences. That being said, the fibers can be easily crushed.
- Polypropylene/Olefin: Although olefin carpet fibers are less resilient, it does withstand sunlight, bleach, and stains.
- Wool: Wool carpet is a glamourous choice for luxurious homes. Along with looking and feeling beautiful, wool carpet helps purify the air, withstands bacteria growth, and contains hypoallergenic attributes. That being said, wool carpet is the most expensive carpet fiber listed.
While all fibers and piles can affect the durability of your carpet, ICC Home can help take the guesswork out of selecting the proper one. Be sure to ask one of our expert sales associates which carpet type would work best for your application.
Additionally, your lifestyle can affect your flooring purchase. Taking into consideration a few key elements can help you make the right decision. Here are things you should consider:
- Active Households: With pets and children, life can get a little chaotic and unpredictable. Having a durable carpet can help homeowners foresee the unforeseen. Luckily, there are a variety of durable carpets for active households.
- Seniors: Carpet provides a comfortable underfoot, making it the perfect choice for senior living. It helps create a soft barrier in case of accidental falls.
- Asthma and Airborne Allergens: Contrary to popular belief, carpet can be beneficial in homes that struggle with asthma and airborne allergens. In fact, the carpet can serve as an air filter for your space. The carpet traps particles like dust, pollen, and pet dander, and with a regular vacuuming schedule, you can remove those allergens from the atmosphere, creating a clean and happy environment. Additionally, carpet has the lowest volatile organic compound emission out of all of the flooring choices, which results in improved air quality.
At ICC Home, we understand that choosing the right flooring choice can feel overwhelming at times. We would love to help make the process easy and efficient. Be sure to visit us at ICC Home to make all of your design dreams come true. Also, do not forget to check back next week where will discuss hardwood. Thanks for reading!
Leave a Reply